Visiting Teaching and Research Consultant Librarian
|Salary Range:||Salary commensurate with qualifications, experience, and faculty salary scale.|
|Benefits:||Comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurances, generous 403b contribution and tuition remission benefits.|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||Linfield College invites applications for a 10-month appointment as a visiting teaching and research consultant librarian to begin August 1, 2014. This visiting faculty librarian position teaches in an active integrated information literacy instruction program and provides research services to Linfield students and faculty on the McMinnville Campus. This position will also train the lead student workers in basic reference service. |
Linfield College is a private, comprehensive, undergraduate institution with 2600 students across three campuses. The main campus, chartered in 1858, is located in McMinnville, Oregon; Linfield’s Portland campus houses the Linfield-Good Samaritan School of Nursing; and the Division of Continuing Education (DCE) offers online degree and certificate programs. Linfield is fully accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges.
Linfield’s outstanding academic programs emphasize small class sizes, a strong core curriculum in the liberal arts, pre-professional programs linking theory with practice, and a rich set of opportunities for experiential learning and study abroad. Linfield’s campus life includes a proud history of excellence in NCAA Division III competition by our student-athletes. Among Linfield’s long-term institutional goals are commitments to integrated teaching and learning; global and multicultural education; and environmental, social, and economic sustainability.
Advantages of joining the faculty at Linfield College include centralized professional development funding, partial moving assistance, and generous employer retirement contributions. Linfield College is a member of HERC (the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium), which provides assistance with spouse/partner job searches. Linfield College is committed to student and faculty diversity.
|Duties:||1. Provides reference and research service for students, staff and faculty. |
2. Teaches research strategies and the effective use of print and electronic resources in an active, course-related instruction program. Collaborates with faculty to integrate library use into the curriculum and achieve instructional goals. Prepares appropriate instructional materials.
3. Collaborates with librarians in developing the reference collection.
4. Teaches a student staff of undergraduates to provide reference assistance for most of the hours the library is open. The program includes face-to-face individual and group learning experiences as well as problem-based online learning components for each student. Continual assessment and learning is facilitated via weekly meetings as well as ongoing communications among the student group and the librarians responsible for reference and research consultation.
5. On-site supervisor for library science graduate student interns (generally one intern per year in the spring) with a focus on reference, research consultation and instruction.
6. Keeps abreast of copyright issues in higher education in order to serve the campus in an advisory capacity.
7. Manages special projects as assigned.
8. Maintains active liaison with faculty in instruction, collection, and other areas as assigned.
|Qualifications:||1. MLS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited library program required. |
2. Excellent organizational, interpersonal, planning and analytical skills.
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to think creatively and collaboratively.
1. Experience in an academic library.
2. Demonstrated experience in teaching undergraduate students.
Complete the online application, attach a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and provide the names, email addresses and telephone numbers of 3 references. College/university transcripts will be required prior to the campus interview.
*Recruitment closes on March 3, 2014
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.